August 05, 2020
US Congress
Updated On: Aug 13, 2014

US Congress
Updated On: May 24, 2006 (14:11:00) PRINT/SAVE Article

Contacting Your Elected United States Representative and/or Senator

The International Association of Fire Fighters is the memberships political advocate for congressional issues. Headquartered in Washington DC, the IAFF has occupied a voice in congress since the first convention on February 28, 1918.

Click here to find information on Washington State elected officials.

US Senate - Washington State

·           Senator Patty Murray

·           Senator Maria Cantwell

US House of Representative - Washington State (current to 8-13-14)


District Name Party Room Phone Committee Assignment
1 DelBene, Suzan D 318 CHOB 202-225-6311 Agriculture
the Judiciary
2 Larsen, Rick D 2113 RHOB 202-225-2605 Armed Services
3 Herrera Beutler, Jaime R 1130 LHOB 202-225-3536 Appropriations
Small Business
4 Hastings, Doc R 1203 LHOB 202-225-5816 Natural Resources
Oversight and Government
5 McMorris Rodgers, Cathy R 203 CHOB 202-225-2006 Energy and Commerce
6 Kilmer, Derek D 1429 LHOB 202-225-5916 Armed Services
Science, Space, and Technology
7 McDermott, Jim D 1035 LHOB 202-225-3106 the Budget
Ways and Means
8 Reichert, David G. R 1127 LHOB 202-225-7761 Ways and Means
9 Smith, Adam D 2264 RHOB 202-225-8901 Armed Services
Select Committee on Benghazi
10 Heck, Denny D 425 CHOB 202-225-9740 Financial Services

Finding Congressional Information

Please use the links below to find information on issues that impact fire fighters in the US. The Whats New section of the IAFF website has good information on late breaking news affecting fire fighters. Click here to visit the IAFF Frontpage.

IAFF - Legislation & Issues

Write your member of Congress (from the IAFF Homepage)

THOMAS (Federal legislative information service)

US House of Representatives ~ Roll Call Votes

US Senate ~ Roll Call Votes

Library of Congress ~ American History  Kids & Family

Communicating With Your Member of Congress

To find your senators' and representative's phone numbers, you may use the links above or call the U.S. Capitol Switchboard at (202) 224-3121 and ask for your senators' and/or representative's office.

Remember that telephone calls are usually taken by a staff member, not the member of Congress. Ask to speak with the aide who handles fire fighter issues.

After identifying yourself, tell the aide you would like to leave a brief message, such as: "Please tell Senator/Representative (Name) that I support/oppose (S.___/H.R.___)." You will also want to state reasons for your support or opposition to the bill. Ask for your senators' or representative's position on the bill. You may also request a written response to your telephone call.

Click here for a sample letter to your U.S. Senator/Representative. (Coming Soon!)

Accessing the United States Government

Capitol Spotlight (News service from CSPAN & Congressional Quarterly)

CSPAN (Public access to the US political process)

Action Center
Action Center
IAFF Local 2819
Copyright © 2020, All Rights Reserved.
Powered By UnionActive™

654021 hits since Aug 03, 2006
Top of Page image